Tuesday 9 December 2008

Bagpuss gave a big yawn, and settled down to sleep

Oliver Postgate, creator of Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine and many more, has died. I think that Bagpuss was one of the first things that really awakened my imagination. The echoes of the wonderful stories and characters, all told in his warm, mellifluous voice, still ring through my memories.

A few years ago I read Mr Postgate's autobiography, 'Seeing Things'. He had an extraordinary life - playing games with Bertrand Russell as a child, becoming a concientious objector in WWII, later an anti-nuclear campaigner, and of course the genius of 'Smallfilms'. His enthusiasm, warmth, humour and gift for storytelling shine throughout the book. I think I'll go away and reread it, once I can wrestle it back from my mum.

Goodbye, saggy old cloth cat, we'll miss you.

No comments: