Tuesday 13 January 2009

You've gotta learn to get a little happy along the way

A severe case of PMT the other day methinks. Plus a few other factors, bad day at work, grumpy boyfriend, miserable winter weather etc. One of my strengths is definately over-reacting. And I'm a born pessimist ;o) Two things not to mention in interviews.

Perspective is a wonderful thing, I felt like the world was going to end the other day. Part of this blog is learning to appreciate those moments where everything is perfect, to remember to be grateful and to be able to draw strength from them in the moments when you really need reminding that things ain't that bad, and always get better.

Langhorne Slim put it better than me:

Toss your misery, out the door
What are you waiting for?

You've got to learn to get a little happy, along the way

It's alright to change your
style, it's alright to smile
It's alright to get a little happy along the way


Tough day at the office,
and worse, not at home
Don't wanna talk about it,
Just wanna be left alone
There's no joy in living,

You're giving all and getting none

It's a new beginning,
you thought you lost, but honey you won.

New Years Resolution number 2: Take a deep breath and smile, or as wonderful blogger Fabulous Lorraine so perfectly put it, "Even One perfect minute a day.....Or one moment where you are completely happy, and take the time to acknowledge it and say so."

Last night my Pilates class did me the power of good, I got home feeling completely relaxed, had a candlelit bath listening to more Thea Gilmore (one of the more cheery albums though). That was pretty close to perfect, except for the bit where the PVR didn't record Masterchef, but never mind! Today I'm going to meet some old friends after work. We all worked in the same office together when I started my first job at the University. That was 7 years ago, I left the Uni 5 years ago, and we are all still good friends. It will be an evening of catching up, gossiping and laughing. That's pretty perfect. I'm lucky to have good friends. I'm happy.

Sometimes I feel it, you know how it is,
You wake up in the morning and everything f
its
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My Perfect Day
- My Perfect Day, Feeder

A particularly perfect day - view from Mt Sunday (Edoras), December 2007

No comments: